Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sandcastles!

Last weekend we went to the Neptune Festival at Virginia Beach and they did a huge sandcastle building contest. It was really cool to see what everyone did. They had a whole section of professional individuals and professional teams that did amazing jobs! (how would you like to say that you are a sandcastle builder by trade? Haha!) There are so many people out there with creativity that I will never even begin to understand! Click on the pictures to make them bigger if you want. It makes it a lot easier to see the details.

This is the overall first place winner (it was done by a team of professionals). I didn't get the best picture of it, but it is a mermaid kissing a...well, I don't really know what he is but what is really cool is that they were able to carve out bands of sand behind his head. I have no idea how you do that. They even made the sand around it look like ocean water.



I thought this one was quite creative. It was called "No Strings Attached" I think. It had all sorts of instruments hidden in this persons head.

A fearless knight who has won the maiden (the dragon that was slain is laying behind them)

Fire thingy.

I love the facial expressions on these guys!

Fun and creepy/scary all at the same time...

This was my personal favorite. It was called "Dancing with the Stars". The sun and the moon are dancing (you can see their hands clasped in front and it's hard to see from the picture but the sun has his hand behind the moon's back or head or whatever you'd call it). Again, they did the bands of sand around the outside of the sun. These people are amazing.


A random guy with his parrot

We stopped to let Braden crawl around on the grass. The grass was a little bit pokey though. So he just opted to stay in this cute little pose for a while.


Isn't he a handsome man? :)

3 comments:

Linds said...

Those are some amazing sculptures. I have been working on resumes lately and I think it would be awesome to put "sand sculptor" on one:)
Speaking of people with insane amounts of creativity you should type in "winner of Ukraine's got talent" on Youtube. This lady tells stories with sand, which sounds odd, but it is absolutely mesmerising to watch.
Anyway, glad you got to see the festival in person. And I agree that both your boys are handsome:)

Amanda said...

I am absolutely amazed that people can sculpt such complex things out of sand! It's awesome! I bet that was so fun to see such incredible creativity. Glad you are having fun in your new home!

Maybury said...

You are right! They are creative. Cool! The beach offers a whole new culture. I wish we could live closer to the ocean for that.