Thursday, November 12, 2009

Grandma's Funeral

Well, a few weeks ago Braden and I took an unexpected trip to Utah. My Grandma Monson passed away, which was sad but good at the same time. She has been sick a long time and is the sweetest lady and my Grandpa passed away 8 years ago, so I'm sure it was a sweet, sweet reunion in heaven and I know she is so happy to be back with him and her other family members. She is one of the sweetest women that has ever lived I think. She had Alzheimer's for the last 8-10 years and in the last few weeks when she overheard one of my aunts describing the situation and suffering she was in she just said "Oh the poor dear. Why don't you have her come and stay with me and I will try to help take care of her." What a sweetheart. She was just so selfless that she didn't even realize they were talking about her.
The funeral was wonderful. This may sound strange, but I love funerals. I learned years ago at my Grandpa's funeral that often you never know the best thing about a person until they pass away and others share their best memories. It is always a good reminder to me to ask myself what I'm focusing on in others. If I went to their funeral tomorrow would I have seen all those great qualities in them? Or would I have been too blinded by the things I thought were wrong with them too see those beautiful things? One of my favorite quotes is from a play written by Oscar Wilde: "Did you LOOK at the person, or did you SEE them? Because there is a big difference between looking and seeing. And one never really sees anything until one sees it's beauty." I feel like at funerals I get to see different parts of a person that I wouldn't normally get to in day-to-day life. Which is particularly moving with the people we love and hold dear.

3 comments:

Linds said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. It's always hard to say goodbye to someone, even if they are ready to go.
I'm sure she is one of the sweetest ladies that has ever lived if she came from your family :)
And I'm glad you survived the tropical storm. I guess I need to brush up on my geography because I didn't even realize Virginia is a coastal state! (Even though you have posted about the beach being close and the sand sculpting and everything...)

The Paisers said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but am so grateful for your wisdom and optimistic attitude. You are such a beautiful person Elise!!

Maybury said...

It was wonderful to see you. Thanks for coming in to the office. I agree with you about the funerals. I don't like people passing away either. I think we all need to take a little more effort and tell the people we love why we love them before they die. It felt like everyone loved Kyle's dad but no one said anything until he died. The day he died we sat around talking about all of these wonderful memories. It was sad he couldn't be there. I am sorry your grandma passed away but I think she is in a happier and more pleasant place now.