Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July - Tall Ships Festival





Justin and I had the best 4th of July! We made a last-minute decision to go to WA and see our families and have the experience of a lifetime of watching the fireworks from a huge sailboat (tall ship) on the water. It was amazing, particularly because we love sailing, we love fireworks, and because three years ago Justin passed up this exact experience to hang out with me most of the day and go on our first date!


I should explain a little I guess. So huge boats with big masts and sails are called "Tall Ships". About three years ago Justin and I had our first date at the tall ships festival (a festival where they have all these huge tall ships, like the ones on Pirates of the Caribbean, come from around the world and make port in Tacoma for a week) and ended up spending the rest of the day together. He had been volunteering as an Interpreter on a Russian ship and had a ticket to see the fireworks from that ship out on the water as it sailed around the bay. Instead, he stuck around with me all day, going from place to place and ended up on top of the Church roof watching the fireworks and looking at the stars. Isn't he sweet? It was a great time and we've loved the fourth of July ever since.


So, this year they brought in the Tall Ships festival again and my parents have been volunteering a ton with them, so they gave my mom 4 tickets to watch the fireworks from Commencement Bay on a ship called the Adventuress. She was so sweet and thought of Justin and I, and offered 2 of the tickets to us! How could we say no to that? So, we did a whirlwind trip up to WA, and celebrated our first date with the experience Justin had passed up. It was amazing! I think we are going to have to make it a tradition to go back for every Tall Ship Festival and have our first date all over again! Thanks Mom and Dad!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Jamie Younker said...

How sweet is he?! I love that story! Glad you got to see your fam!